Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Won't you be my neighbour...

Mr. Roger's would have been appalled. Neighbours ignoring neighbours. We had the first significant snowfall last night and by morning it had changed from snow, to ice pellets to freezing rain. The roads were slick and messy. The end of our street was a two foot snow drift car trap. As one car got snared the line up of other cars grew.

I watched the dance from my window as I didn't have to go to work today. Telecommuting rocks.

Anyway there are three cars watching the first snared car spinning its tires and going nowhere. Do you think anyone would get out of their cars and help this poor sod? Nope. They just sat there with their wipers going back and forth. I know it was raining but c'mon, people. If the first car doesn't move, neither are you. After about five minutes of this I started to get my gear on so I could go help. Fortunately they got unstuck before I got out.
Later in the day a postal truck got stuck. One guy just drove around her (yes her) instead of helping or at least offering to help. Chivalry is in a coma. I tried to get her moving but there wasn't much I could do other than try to get her to rock out of the bad spot. But chivalry woke up when a guy in a 4-wheel drive vehicle and a tow rope was able to pull her out of the rut she was in.
Then I was able to get another lady on her way after her Neon got stuck at the end of her driveway. Again, a couple of guys in a pick up truck just drove around her instead of stopping and helping. Nice.

But remember, karma keeps score...those unneighbourly bastards are working on the wrong side of the karma ledger. Wouldn't it be great if when something crappy happened to you, a stranger in a black raincoat handed you a scorecard so you would know exactly where you screwed up? Like the guys in the truck. Say they slip on some ice and break their arm. Some guy hands them a card in the x-ray room that reads, "Next time, help people stuck in the snow you selfish bastard. signed Karma."

And if something bad happened when it wasn't warranted you would get a card that said "oops...sorry... We were aiming at the guy beside you. We owe you some of the good stuff. signed Karma".

Balance is good.