Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Technology..better?

Turn the clock back ten years, maybe fifteen. Place yourself at the same event. The friend/family member would have called your home and left a message. You would have got the message on your return home. No one panicked because they couldn't get you immediately. It seems like now, people expect to be able to get in contact with their family members at any time no matter where they may be.

Work seems to have the same attitude. Last time I checked though, the relative pay of people in positions where they carry cell phones hasn't changed when compared to their counter-parts from a decade or two ago. Think about that. A person who was ,say, a sales manager 15 years ago probably didn't have a way to be in constant contact with the office. He was probably paid well and worked 5 or 6 days a week for his salary. But when he left the office, his time was, for the most part his own.

Fast forward to today. Sales Managers are paid about the same today as they were back then if you take into account regular cost of living allowances. In fact, with so many companies freezing salaries in the '90's, they may even be paid a little less. But today they are generally required to have a cell phone with them at all times. So they are basically available to work 24/7. I find that bizarre.

Then today a lady, late-40's-ish pulls into the drive through of a fast food place while she is on her cell. She stops at the menu post and looks like she is reading it. I guess that's ok but then she pulls up to the speaker and tells the person on the other end to hang on a second while she finishes her call! I couldn't believe it. Lady, put the phone down and order your damn food!

This "always available" concept reminds me of a funny story. I was out at an event several years ago and had to use the public washrooms. As I was sitting there minding my own business (so to speak) the guy in the next stall over gets a call.

Guy in Stall: Hello?

...pause


Guy in Stall: Ah, ya...ya..well...ya..ok...

...pause

Guy in Stall: Well I'll check it when I'm done here. I'm not in my regular office right now...

Not his regular office? Too funny. That implies he's at his irregular office.

So callers beware. You never know where the person is or what the person on the other end is doing. I think if nature calls or you're just out with nature, it should be ok to be unavailable. I like not being available.