Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, June 17, 2005

The deed is done

I started the ball rolling today. I placed my order for all the stuff I figure I need to build an excellent PC. Even though the mission was to spend some money, I still wanted some bang for my buck so I didn't just buy the most expensive items in each category.

Here's what I came up with:
  • WD Caviar 200GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/S-ATA-150
  • Corsair Value Select 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz
  • MSI K8NNeo4 Platinum Socket 939 Motherboard
  • Samsung Black 16 DVD Burner oem with software
  • AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Sckt 939 (Venice Core) BOX CPU
  • Diamond Radeon X800XL 256MB PCIe
  • Diablo Red ATX Samurai Case
  • Coolmax ATX 550w PS w/ Silent 120mm Fan Black
plus keyboard, mouse, webcam, XP, Office, and Pinnacle MovieBox USB 9 all for under $2300 Canadian. Once it arrives some time next week, the fun of putting it together starts. I guess its kind of like Dr. Frankenstein putting the parts together and waiting to see if it becomes alive.

I also found out through placing this order that my credit card company is looking out for me. I decided to use my Mastercard from Canadian Tire to finance this purchase. I get Canadian Tire Money on the card and this big purchase was too tempting to pass up on the extra payback. I had never used this card on-line before. Within minutes of my submitting the order, a credit card representative phoned me to make sure it was me who had made the purchase. I don't know if all credit card companies do this sort of thing as I have never purchased this amount of stuff on-line before, but I was impressed and relieved to find out that such a change in my spending triggered a response from them. I know they are protecting themselves as well as me but it's nice to know a company gives a crap at all.